Sunday, August 10, 2008

It's Been A Long Time

I know. You don't have to tell me. I start this new blog devoted to the music I love and it takes me six months to post my second entry. But when it comes to good music there's no wrong time to blog, as long as you do it. So here goes.

The title of this blog reminds of one of my all time favorite songs, "I Know You Got Soul" by Eric B. and Rakim. It's easy to tell why this song is a classic. Right from the opening bars:

"It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you
Without a strong rhyme to step to,
Think of how many weak shows you slept through
Time's up, I'm sorry I kept you.."
That's just classic hip-hop right there. Rakim was the mic soloist and Eric B. was behind the boards. This was just one of the many dope singles on the group's 1987 debut, "Paid In Full".


The tracklisting is littered with classics like, "I Ain't No Joke", "My Melody", "Move The Crowd", "Paid In Full", and "Eric B. is President".
The late 80's is the golden era of hip-hop. Artists like Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, EPMD, and Eric B. and Rakim weren't all about the bling and the floss. These dudes knew how to tell a story. They knew how to deliver a message. Damn I miss the game.
Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Maisy said...

I think it's about damn time you wrote another blog! You already know my opinion on the rest of this. :)